The Christian and Missionary Alliance began its work as a missionary-sending organization in (1887) under the ministry of A.B. Simpson (pictured at right). Its logo and doctrinal statement proclaim Jesus Christ as our: Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, and Coming King. Within the worldwide work of the C&MA today, its global ministries encompass 13,609 churches and church groups that include more than 4 million people, with 900 international workers, in 81 countries and territories. That work is supported by over 2,000 churches here in the United States. Our purpose has a worldwide focus.
To accomplish a worldwide work, we must start with a local church to support it. Our church is a part of that overall organization and began its work here in Greenville in 1932. During its early years, it met on Columbia Avenue, as well as in the home of Mr. And Mrs. Ray White on East Stewart Avenue. In September of 1936 the congregation purchased the Kremis store building at 185 Clinton Street which served as the church home for 26 years.
In August of 1962, our church entered a new era as ground was broken and construction began on its first sanctuary (north building).
It is exciting to look back over the years and see the work that God has done in and through this body of believers! As we look back, the beginnings were small, but God has been faithful to bring the increase. It is exciting to look back and see just how clearly He has worked. In November of 1933, the total income for the month was $17.85. The church’s monthly expenses included: rent at $10, an electric bill at $1, and $1 for pastoral expenses.
Today, we find ourselves in a much different position than our historical church family. We are blessed to have a beautiful sanctuary with a welcoming foyer, and our giving far surpasses the $17.85 of 64 years ago! Our congregation has grown to a church family of some 275 people with a variety of ministries to serve the diverse interests and needs of the church body and community.
God has also blessed us with the opportunity to partner with an Alliance congregation in the Dominican Republic. Our initial support of this ministry included helping during short-term mission trips with construction of the Santiago C&MA Church, and continues with our partnership in prayer, giving and additional short-term mission trip projects in support of the initiatives and growth of this ministry of brothers and sisters in Christ.
From the beginning, the Greenville Alliance Church has been committed to sending the Gospel around the world through the Great Commission Fund, supporting it financially and prayerfully. In May 2003, Joel and Sally were sent out from the Greenville Church, after serving here for almost three years. They followed God’s call to serve Him in the mission field by helping to train leaders for churches throughout their region at a theological school established by the Alliance Church.
We invite you to join us on this journey of faith as we grow together in following Jesus with all our hearts.